Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

Music My Kid Hates

Sing it! Say it! Stamp it! Sway it! Vol. 1, by Peter & Ellen Allard
http://cdbaby.com/cd/peterandellen3

I checked this CD out on the recommendation of a librarian who really knows her stuff. She is a great children's librarian and I never fail to learn from her. However, when I put this CD in, my son actually walked over to the stereo, pushed the off button, and demanded Putumayo instead. I thought this was just a momentary preference, but subsequent attemps to play this CD have caused him to turn the stereo off, turn the volume down, and on one occasion, put pillows over his head. He just doesn't like it. So I played it for my friend's 13-month-old and she didn't seem thrilled, either. This one got great reviews from School Library Journal and Parents' Choice, so my guess is that maybe it appeals to older children and our young ones aren't ready for it yet.

Burl Ives Sings Little White Duck

I downloaded this from iTunes while I was still pregnant in anticipation. I LOVED this when I was a kid. My offspring, on the other hand, yawns widely whenever I play it and will turn it off the minute I turn my back. Strangely enough, he likes the songs when I sing them to him, but there's something about Burl Ives he just doesn't like. This makes me very sad, but oh well, I can listen to it when he's not around.

Comments:
Later update: My son has finally developed a taste for Burl Ives, so I guess he just had to turn 3 first. The verdict is, either repeat exposure or maturation does the trick with this CD.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?