Friday, November 03, 2006

 

Music My Kid Likes

I have checked out many a CD from my local library and even bought a few, and these are the ones my kid (age 2 years and 8 months) loooooves (linked to more info for your convenience):

Sing Along With Putamayo

You haven't lived until you've watched your kid banging his plastic hammer to Arlo Guthrie's version of "Bling-Blang", and you haven't cried until he sings along with "You Are My Sunshine". This album is so catchy I have put a couple of the tracks on my iPod for ME. A friend's kid (age 2) also loves this CD. One bad thing: you might find yourself singing "Bananaphone" in the car even when no children are present. It's insidious.

Laurie Berkner, Whaddaya Think Of That?

This album is worth the purchase price for just the song "We Are the Dinosaurs". We also like "Last Night I Had A Dream", which encourages kids to fly like an airplane, jump up and down, gallop like a horse...how could this one fail? Berkner's album Buzz Buzz is good too (It has the Ram Sam Sam song, cleverly disguised as Rum Sum Sum), but it's Whaddaya Think of That Graham usually means when he requests Laurie Berkner. My friend's daughter (age 13 months) also loves both of these.

They Might Be Giants, Here Come the ABCs

Okay, I confess I bought this one for me because I am a TMBG fan. But Graham loves "Go for G" and "C is For Conifer" even though I know the lyrics to the latter are probably way over his head at this point. But when he gets to school just think about all the stuff he's going to know about trees and shrubs! This title is also available as a DVD but I have never seen the video content, so I can't vouch for that part. Note: this one leaves both of the above mentioned friends' children cold, but thrills a boy (18 months) that I used to baby-sit for.

Coming soon: Music I have gotten for Graham that has inspired him to run across the room to turn off the stereo.

Comments:
Recently I got the DVD version of TMBG Here Come the ABCs. Don't know how we lived without it before. It's long, so I don't like my son to watch it all at once, but it isn't in any particular order so I just select a few tracks at once. All of it holds his interest. The puppet numbers are more of a hit with him than the animation parts, but on the whole it's an amusing DVD.
 
Just checked out Putumayo's African Playground CD. It passes the kid test and I like it as well, and when my neighbor stopped by to borrow a car jack he liked it too. Cool to hear a more 'traditional' version of "the Lion Sleeps Tonight". Now if only my hold for Latin Playground will come in.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?